Authority to Transport Passengers (RA 50-1)

This permit allows a person to provide intra-state transportation in buses or full-sized vans.


90 Days




Permit allows the holder to provide intra-state transportation for compensation in buses and full sized vans (10 Passengers or More). (Transportation in sedans, station wagons and minivans are excluded and do not require this license.)


1. Project Description, Always Required
2. Financial Information, Always Required
3. Personal Background Information, Always Required
4. Statements in Support of the Certificate/Permit are required (except permits for charter bus operations), Sometimes Required
5. Proof of Incorporation if Applicant is a Corporation, Always Required
6. Proof of Liability Insurance, Always Required
7. Public Notice, Always Required
8. Public Hearing, Sometimes Required
9. Inspection, Always Required
10. Proof of Liability Insurance, Always Required
11. Public Notice is handled by the NYS Department of Transportation

How to Apply

Applications for New York State (NYS) Operating Authority must be submitted through the Carrier Certification System using a NY.GOV ID.


• EIN or SSN
• Business certificates
• NYSDOT, USDOT, and MC number if applicable
• Owner and officer information
• Vehicle information
• Transportation experience information
• Asset information

Duration & Processing

Common Denial Reasons: Insufficient information; Incorrect information; Lack of qualifying experience; Failure to supply adequate statements of support

Additional Info

1. The agency has an appeal process for a denied application
2. Proof of Workers' Compensation or exemption therefrom is required

For additional information/Sponsor Agency:

Transportation, Department of

Check out our FAQs, Helpful Links or visit our Contact Us page.

Start Your Business

Use our Business Wizard to find out what you need.

Visit the Business Wizard

Find Incentives and Support

You are not alone. Find ways New York State can help you grow.

Visit the Incentive Wizard