Employer Identification Number (EIN)

Registration for an Employer Identification Number (EIN) with the IRS.


Applying online gets an EIN immediately




An Employer Identification Number (EIN), also known as a federal tax identification number, identifies a business entity. Generally, all businesses need a federal tax identification number. An EIN is a nine-digit number that the Internal Revenue Service assigns to a business. The IRS uses the number to identify taxpayers that are required to file various business tax returns. Employers, sole proprietors, corporations, partnerships, nonprofit organizations, trusts, estates of decedents, government agencies, certain individuals and other business entities use EINs. It is against the law to use an EIN for anything other than business use or to use as a Social Security Number. You may not transfer your EIN if you sell or otherwise transfer your business. The new business owner and operator will need to apply for a new EIN.

How to Apply

1. You may apply online.


• Business information


Duration & Processing

Applying online gets an EIN immediately. You should apply for an EIN early enough to have your number when you need to file a return or make a deposit. International applicants must call (267) 941-1099 (Not a toll-free number). If you prefer, you can fax a completed Form SS-4 to the service center for your state, and they will respond with a return fax in about one week. If you do not include a return fax number, it will take about two weeks. If you apply by mail, send your completed Form SS-4 (PDF) at least four to five weeks before you need your EIN to file a return or make a deposit. If you don't have your EIN by the time a return is due, write "Applied for" and the date you applied in the space shown for the number. Do not use your social security number.

If you don't have your EIN by the time a deposit is due, send your payment to the service center address for your state. Make your check or money order payable to Internal Revenue Service and show your name (as shown on the SS-4), address, tax type, period covered, and the date you applied for your EIN.

For additional information/Sponsor Agency:

U.S. Department of Treasury

Check out our FAQs, Helpful Links or visit our Contact Us page.

Start Your Business

Use our Business Wizard to find out what you need.

Visit the Business Wizard

Find Incentives and Support

You are not alone. Find ways New York State can help you grow.

Visit the Incentive Wizard