Certificate of Attestation of Exemption (CE-200)This certificate attests that a business is not required to carry New York workers' compensation and/or New York disability and paid family leave benefits insurance.
There are limited situations where businesses are exempt from providing workers' compensation and/or disability and paid family leave benefits coverage. The most common situations are: the business is owned by one individual with no employees and is not a corporation; the business is a partnership under New York laws, and there are no employees; or the business is a one or two person owned corporation, with those individuals owning all of the stock and holding all offices of the corporation, and there are NO employees.
- Agency: Labor, Department of; Permit: Employer Registration for Unemployment Insurance, Withholding and Wage Reporting
- Agency: U.S. Department of Treasury; Permit: Employer Identification Number (FEIN)
- The NYS Workers' Compensation Board's primary identification for your business is your business' Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). NYS insurance carriers require this FEIN to obtain or modify your workers' compensation coverage.
- Affidavit for New York Entities and Any Out of State Entities with No Employees, That NYS Workers' Compensation and/or Disability Benefits Insurance Coverage is Not Required, to apply for exemption.
How to Apply
- You may apply online. Please see the help guides for Business and for Not-For-Profit Organizations.
- Sign in or create a NY.gov account.
WHAT YOU NEED TO APPLY:• Federal Employer Identification Number or Social Security Number
• Business information (legal name, address, etc.)
• Type of permit, license or contract
• Name of Issuing Agency
|NAME||FORM NUMBER||FORM AND INSTRUCTIONS AVAILABLE|
|Certificate of Attestation of Exemption||CE-200||CE-200|
Duration & Processing
|Average Processing Time:||0 Days|
|Term/Duration:||Annual - One year or for the term of the permit, license or contract.|
|Renewable:||Yes - As necessary.|
|Automatically Sent:||No - There are no rules stating how far ahead renewals will be sent.|
Application Processing Comments: Received immediately if applying online. Paper process takes up to 4 weeks.
Common Denial Reasons: Applicant is required to have workers' compensation and/or disability benefits insurance coverage.
Additional Info1. The NYS Workers' Compensation Board's primary identification for your business is your Federal Employee Identification Number or FEIN #.
2. Effective September 2007, NYS Workers' Compensation Law, Article 2, Section 32-a requires all out-of-state employers with employees working in New York to carry a full workers' compensation insurance policy.