BUSINESS Employer Registration for Unemployment Insurance, Withholding, and Wage Reporting (NYS 100)Description of unemployment insurance for business employers
General Business employers are those who employ persons in any type of business except household (domestic), non-profit organizations, governmental entities, Indian tribes or agricultural. General business employers are liable on the first day of the calendar quarter they pay remuneration of $300 or more or the day they obtain any or all of the business of a liable employer.
You must complete an employer registration form for us to decide if you are liable under the New York State Unemployment Insurance law.
After registration, each liable employer is assigned an eight-digit employer registration number. This registration number should be used on all correspondence, quarterly returns and payments sent to the NYS Department of Labor.
Prerequisites1. Federal Employer Identification Number: Prior to obtaining an Employer Registration Number from the NYS Department of Labor, you must obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). If you need a FEIN, you can download an application (Form SS4) or apply online at the IRS web site. You can also obtain an application by calling the IRS at (800) 829-3676.
Requirements1. A Quarterly Combined Withholding, Wage Reporting and Unemployment Insurance Return (NYS-45) must be filed if liable for unemployment insurance. You must file and pay your NYS-45 electronically.
2. Liable employers receive a poster entitled "Notice to Employees" that tells employees their jobs may be covered for unemployment insurance. The poster must be displayed at each business location, where employees can easily see it.
How to Apply
If you are:
• An OWNER or PRINCIPAL of a Business, Household, or Agricultural employer, you can now register online through New York Business Express (NYBE). Select Apply Online below.
• A 3rd PARTY REPRESENTATIVE submitting a registration for a Business Employer or Household Employer of Domestic Services, click here for our online registration form. If you are submitting a registration for an Agricultural Employer, download form NYS 100A .
NOTE: Online registration service is not available to Non-Profit Employers, Governmental Employers and Indian Tribes at this time. Download the appropriate form found at the Department of Labor website.
If you have any questions about these registration forms, call (888) 899-8810.
2. Sign in or create a NY.gov account.
3. After you apply, log in to check your application status.
Attention Unemployment Insurance (UI) claimants:
New York Business Express and the NYS100 registration application is only for New York State employers to use to register for UI coverage for their employees. To file a personal claim for UI, you must go online to www.labor.ny.gov/signin. Read more about how to file a claim and see a step-by-step guide to online filing.
Duration & Processing
|Average Processing Time:||5 Days|