xAttention Unemployment Insurance (UI) claimants: New York Business Express and the NYS100 registration application is only for New York State employers to use to register for UI coverage for their employees. To file a personal claim for UI, you must go online to www.labor.ny.gov/signin . Read more about how to file a claim and see a step-by-step guide to online filing.

Controlled Substances

This document provides useful information for health care professionals wanting to dispense, administer or prescribe controlled substances.



Under the U.S. Controlled Substances Act of 1970, all health care professionals wanting to dispense, administer, or prescribe controlled drugs must register with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration. The link to the FDA Regulatory Information is below.

New York State has requirements that health care practitioners need to follow regarding the dispensing, administering and prescribing of controlled substances as well as the use and disposal of hypodermic syringes and needles. The link to the NYS Legislature Law is below.

Penal Law Section 220.65 has been amended to include information about the criminal sale of controlled substance prescriptions by a practitioner or pharmacist. For more information see the Penal Law link below.

Penal Law Section 178.26 has been amended to address deceit related to controlled substances. The link to the Penal Law affected, is below.

For additional information/Sponsor Agency:

Health, Department of

Check out our FAQs, Helpful Links or visit our Contact Us page.

Start Your Business

Use our Business Wizard to find out what you need.

Visit the Business Wizard

Find Incentives and Support

You are not alone. Find ways New York State can help you grow.

Visit the Incentive Wizard